Ingredients (for 3-4 people):
- 400 g of lamb or beef;
- 0.5 cups of green lentils, which do not need to be soaked before cooking;
- 1 large onion;
- 2 carrots;
- 2 potatoes;
- a sprig of fresh thyme;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 1 tea. a spoonful of cumin seeds crushed in a spice mortar;
- 1 teaspoon. spoon of olive oil;
- 1 teaspoon. spoon of butter;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tea. spoon of salt;
- a large pinch of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1.5 l of broth or water.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Cut the meat into small cubes, peel the carrots, onions and potatoes and also cut them into cubes. Wash the lens under running water.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, stir until translucent, but do not brown. Add carrots and all garlic cloves, fry for a few minutes so that these vegetables caramelize a bit.
3. Put the meat in the pan, stir-fry until the meat is almost not browned, then add a sprig of thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, cumin, lentils and stir-fry until the cumin is fragrant. . Then add the broth or water, let it boil, then reduce the heat to slightly lower than medium, cover the pot and let the soup cook for 25 minutes.
5. Open the lid of the pot, taste if it lacks flavor, add potato cubes, boil again, cover and cook for another 15 minutes. or until the potatoes and lentils are cooked.
6. Let the soup stand for a few minutes and then scoop out the thyme sprig, bay leaf, ladle it into a plate and serve. If you want, eat it with sour cream as a snack with bread, but this additive is not necessary, the soup itself has a rich taste.
Vida Press photo/Lentil soup with meat and vegetables