Autumn vegetable and grain soup is not only a source of satiety, but also a source of low energy in the current season. Food production expert Brigita Baratinskaitė in the press release of trade network Maxima recommend including this dish as much as possible in your daily diet: the multifaceted benefits should encourage this. Soup is an important part of daily fluid intake, which is more easily absorbed by the body than fried food, providing the necessary vitamins and minerals.
“In autumn, the air becomes fresher and the immune system is less resistant to colds. However, warm soup strengthens the body, reduces the possibility of illness. This food also facilitates digestion, increases intestinal activity, and activates the metabolism. Soup also provides satiety, but the stomach is not heavy, and you feel light after eating. It is perfect for people who want to lose weight and want to eat healthy. It is also worth listening to the benefits of groats – it is a source of necessary proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, which provide the body with two energy and necessary substances”, B. Baratinskaitė emphasizes the advantages of soups.
He notes that the vegetables in the soup can lose some important nutrients and vitamins. Therefore, he offers a solution: cook this dish for a short time, so that the main ingredients do not have time to soften completely.
“Such a soup will be more nutritious and tastier. You just need to add your favorite grains to the vegetables and the real glow of the autumn kitchen will steam on the table. Therefore, adding the soup with the most popular barley and pearl barley is a good solution. They are cheap and nutritious. For example, pearl barley is rich in dietary fiber, which is the most compared to similar products. They also contain proteins, essential carbohydrates, fats, vitamins of group B, which have a positive effect on the nervous system, “says the expert on the benefits of groats and share two great recipes.
Traditional vegetable and pearl barley soup
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 glass of pearl barley;
- 3 medium-sized potatoes;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 onion;
- a handful of green vegetables;
- a pinch of salt;
- 1 teaspoon. spoon of oil.
1. Pour the pearl barley with water, let it stand overnight. Before cooking, drain the water and wash the seeds.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, fry the chopped onions and carrots. Pour the water over the vegetables, add the semolina and cook for half an hour until everything is soft.
3. Add the chopped potatoes and spices to the pot, cook for 15 minutes. When the potatoes are soft, add the greens.
4. Finish cooking, and before serving, you can season the soup with sour cream.
Shutterstock Photo/Pearl semolina soup
Fresh cabbage and rice soup
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 teaspoon. spoon of oil;
- 500 g of kohlrabi;
- 2 onions;
- 2 l of vegetable broth;
- 100 g of rice;
- a pinch of pepper;
- a pinch of salt.
1. Cut the cabbage and onion, wash the rice.
2. Pour oil into the pot and, after heating, add onion and cabbage, fry until soft.
3. Pour in the broth, add rice, pepper, salt, cover and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
Photo Mariaus Žičius/Fresh cabbage soup with rice